Summer at the Art Museum Means Summer Camp
Emily Holtrop, Director of Learning & Interpretation
Hey parents, I am speaking directly to you. Are you in an absolute panic about what to do with your children this summer? Well, breathe easy and panic no more; the Cincinnati Art Museum’s Summer Camp is the answer to your “what do I do with my child while I am at work” woes.
Our successful summer camp program is a great opportunity for children ages 6-8 and 9-12 to explore the collection of the Art Museum for an entire week. Each day is full of looking at, talking about and making art. By the end of the week, you may have an artist or budding curator on your hands.
Do your kids love the Night at the Museum movies? Children who attend camp will also get the rare opportunity to be at the Art Museum on a Monday when we are closed to the public. We are not going to say if anything comes to life when we are closed to the public, but we can say your kids will see some pretty interesting stuff while they explore the galleries.
So here is the skinny on Summer Camp:
- Eight weeks packed with exciting art projects, indoor and outdoor activities, gallery visits, and more designed for children ages 6-8, and 9-12.
- Option to register for one or multiple sessions
- Weekly interactive performances from Happen, Inc.
- Highly skilled educators
- Weekly art exhibition celebrating campers’ accomplishments with family and friends
- Camp runs Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Convenient before and after camp care is available between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 and 5:30 p.m.
- For More Information Visit:http://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org/component/content/article/65-youth–families/190-summer-camp
Tickets and Registration
- Art Museum Members: $175 (Family level or above); non-members $225 (prices per weekly session)
- Before-camp care: $6 per child per day; After-camp care: $10 per child/day
- Call (513) 721-ARTS for registration.
- Enrollment is limited to 30/session. To reserve a space, full payment must be received.
- Registration fee includes all art materials and daily snack. Campers must bring their own non-perishable lunch.
- Refund policy: A $15 charge will be applied for all cancellations before May 1, 2012. No refunds will be granted after May 1, 2012.
- Camp Themes
- SOLD OUT June 11-15: Color Me Crazy (6-8 year olds): Grab your paint palettes and take a ride through the rainbow as we explore the crazy color all around us.
- June 18-22: Sense This (6-8 year olds): Taste, smell, feel, listen, see–and learn all about art. Use your five senses to discover every aspect of our collection.
- June 25-29: Animal Architecture (9-12 year olds): Ever wonder what it would be like to live in a bird’s nest or a beaver dam? Come and take a look at the beauty found in animal and human architecture.
- There will be no camp the week of July 4th
- July 9-13: Dancing Through the Decades (9-12 year olds): Time to get your groove on and take a journey through the decades as we learn about history, art, and music of various time periods.
- SOLD OUT July 16-20: Many Faces of Me (6-8 year olds): Feeling silly, or happy, or excited? Well, put on your creative face and make a piece of art about it as we explore the ins and outs of portraiture through all types of media.
- July 23-27: Movin’ and Groovin’ (6-8 year olds): Shake your sillies out and come dance with us! Discover the different sounds that instruments make and how we can create our own art that makes music.
- July 30-August 3: What’s Your Story? (9-12 year olds): Calling all storytellers to this magical week where we will take a journey through our imaginations. Find out the stories behind the pieces in our collection and make your own!
- August 6-10: How’d They Do That? (9-12 year olds): Jump into a week of creativity as we use different tools to make unusual art. Learn how the pros do it, and create your own sculptures, paintings, prints and more.